Lamplighter’s Marsh is hidden from view just beyond the Severn Beach railway bridge at Station Road. Past the railway bridge, the Georgian houses on the right were owned by sea captains. Station Road ends by the Lamplighter’s pub. William of Orange is said to have landed here in 1690 after the Battle of the Boyne. The Lamplighter’s pub was once known as Lamplighter’s Hall when it was owned by the man who lit the street lamps in some parts of Bristol. It became an inn in the late 1700s. It looks across the River Avon to Pill whose pilots guided ships to Bristol docks. Just up river is Hung Road where sailing ships used to wait for the tide before journeying to Bristol Docks.
The river bank was originally known as Shirehampton Warth or Lamplighter's Warth. It became the property of the City of Bristol from the Westbury-on-Trym Enclosure Award 1822 stating that it was;"...for the purpose of a Sheep Walk only...”.
In the late 1800s, West Town Road at the site of the present M5 Bridge had glass, metal, and brick works. There may have been a flue running parallel to the river, where sublimated lead would condense on the flue walls. Clay for bricks and tiles were was dug out within Lamplighter’s Marsh; those pits were later to become landfill sites for refuse.
Hidden in the scrub is a large rectangular concrete block that is believed to have been an anchorage for a World War II barrage balloon. However, West Town Road was bombed in 1941.
Lamplighter’s Marsh became part of the railway sidings that served Avonmouth Docks.
The former sludge loading dock was once used by the Glen Avon, a ship owned by Wessex Water. Digested sewage sludge was pumped from the Avonmouth Sewage Works to the dock, where it was loaded on to the Glen Avon. It was then taken by the glen Avon to be dumped in the Severn Estuary to be dispersed by the tides. This ended when it was prevented by legislation.